Role Reversal






It seems like just yesterday, such a trite little phrase, 
you came into my world wrapped in blanket blue
cradled in my arms. 
I wanted you to stay there forever.

Loved and desired beyond any feeble words 
on paper scratched.
 I want it to stay this way forever.

Many bright roads have wandered we,
far beyond the the bounds defining mother and son.
I want it to remain so forever.

Little did we know these shining moments
were to light despairing depths
May these be gone forever.

No longer am I called to ferry you to Boy Scouts,
planes and piano lessons. Push you to
clean your room or mow the lawn.
But I want to do it all over again.

Now, it is me who relies on you to keep track
of room keys,
trolley passes
receipts
money
  and
chatter aimlessly, reassuringly.

No where under the firmament
 is a mother so fortunate
today 
  forever.

For Brett Larson

Hong Kong, November 2, 2011


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Living Lakeside: Paradise or Not?

Porches

Two Shoes