When all we had was family



Finally, enjoying the fruits of the long hard years of toil, sunup to sundown, my father’s sisters, Aunt Janis on the left and Annie Mae on the right, sitting in the shade and enjoying homemade ice cream. Every time I see this picture, I wonder just what they are talking about or, better yet, who? To be a fly on their shoulders and listen quietly. Aunt Janis had three children, and Annie Mae had six, and I never forget this was before Pampers and baby food. Never a complaint, raised voice, or negative words about anyone that I know. They grew up during the Depression, and whenever that subject came up, my Aunt Janis would casually remark, “Is it over yet?”

Because my father, their brother had died and my mother suffered very poor health, they often made room for us not only in their homes but hearts as well. Today children in our circumstances will end up in foster care, suffering bitterly for the experience. But they always were there for us. 


Whenever there was a family gathering, it was a red-letter day filled with great Southern cooking, laughter, and sharing memories. But time marches on, and my children never formed those types of relationships with their cousins. By that time, everyone had moved away from home, and while my children tolerated the rare visits, they didn’t look forward to them the way we did in those long ago days.


In the picture below, all grown up, are my closest cousins. Front row, left to right, Twila, and Bobbie, and back row, Joy, me, my sister Diane and Jo Ann. Bobbie and I both had numerous marriages so we shared a special bond because our lives were a source of family chatter. Twila, Bobbie, and I were always close and we would look at Aunt Janis and Annie Mae and say, “One day, that will be us sitting talking about who knows what.” 


But life moved on and that dream never happened. But the memories warm my heart to this day.


Ajijic, MX August 23, 2022




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living Lakeside: Paradise or Not?

Two Shoes

Porches